||Out of stock
HIGH TEMPERATURE CHARCOAL SOLDER BLOCK
Arguably the world’s best charcoal block. It is made of hardwood with great life and durability. This is a premium quality block so it will last 3 to 5 times as long. It also has better heat retention: great for platinum.
This chemically prepared charcoal block will glow under a flame and reflect heat back onto the work. It is a denser charcoal block but still soft so sticking in positioning pins to hold work in place will be easy.
Charcoal solder blocks are very useful in the soldering process:
- They don't absorb much heat. Instead they reflect it back helping to heat up pieces on it much faster.
- They create a reducing atmosphere that consumes the oxygen around the piece being soldered. This helps to prevent fire scale.
- Their surfaces can be sanded down if they get too worn.
- If they are broken, the pieces can still be used.
There are a few drawbacks too:
- They can crack or break after heating.
- They can keep burning after the soldering is done.
- They can be messy.
- They can give off fumes, so use in a ventilated area.
- They get used up.
Approximate size: 5-1/2" x 2-7/8" x 1-1/8"